Monday 16 February 2015

Tim Sherwood: Aston Villa boss says job offer was a 'no brainer'

 

Tim Sherwood admits it was a "no brainer" when asked to replace Paul Lambert as Aston Villa manager.

Sherwood, 46, was appointed on Saturday and watched from the stands as Villa beat Leicester 2-1 in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday at Villa Park.

"When I got the call it was a no brainer. I said 'yes, I'll take the job' then negotiate afterwards.

"When I came here as a player I found it a difficult place to get a result. I want to turn it into a fortress."

One of Sherwood's first tasks is to help Christian Benteke to recapture his form of the last two seasons.

Aston Villa's players celebrate
FA Cup: Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester highlights

The Belgium striker has scored only three goals in 19 Villa appearances this term after netting 34 in 62 games in the previous two seasons.

He was left out of the side for both the home defeat by Chelsea and Tuesday's loss away to Hull City - Lambert's last game in charge.

"Benteke is a handful," added Sherwood, who was in charge of Spurs from December 2013 until the end of the season.

"All the best clubs in the world were after him. A goal will breed confidence and the rest will follow. But it is not a one-man team. He needs to be helped by the rest of the team."

Sherwood was the clear frontrunner to take over at Queens Park Rangers following the resignation of Harry Redknapp, but negotiations came to a halt last week.

His new club have won only two home league games all season and their last league win was a 2-1 success against Leicester City on 7 December.

Sherwood added: "They are a giant club with a lot of history and it's a great honour to be asked to be manager.

"I've come from one big club to another big club. It is a fantastic opportunity for me. I will give 100% to keep Villa in the Premier League and then try to move it on in the future.

"Everyone is surprised to see where they are. But they are not here for no reason.

"I've got a way of playing. It has been a success with the Spurs development side and in the first team. I know how to galvanise and get the best out of players and that is what I intend to do with this squad."

Aston Villa on Twitter
Aston Villa encouraged supporters to 'welcome Tim' on their Twitter account

No comments:

Post a Comment